CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Stephenie Meyer Breaks The U.K

Being from England, as I so often say it annoys myself sometimes, I am exposed to some of the same things as people from across the Atlantic or a little bit further a field, such as Australia and even places like Spain, but being a small country, there are certain things that we keep very to ourselves and appear to only just be reaching everyone else.

One of them, obviously, is our literature. People such as J K Rowling, Agatha Christie and Tolkien are household names all over the world but there is something strange about visiting places that are actually in the books. For example, I have visited the universities in Oxford where Harry Potter is filmed and my sister is going to the university that is said to have influenced how J K Rowling imagined Hogwarts. Or take Tolkien. On one of my sisters more recent cheer leading excursions that I was forced to go on, we stopped to look around the place that supposedly the Hobbit houses are based on. Everywhere we go here is integrated in literature and I can almost guarantee that some kind of author has written about it at some point.

Also, take our music. Stephenie Meyer dedicated some of her books to Muse, who are believe it or not, Brits themselves. Music is something that defines my country. Almost every single weekend, in every single small village, town or city, up and coming bands play music in clubs, at youth centres or on street corners. It is actually in the air in London.

Okay, the point of my rather weird ramblings is that Stephenie Meyer has broken the UK. It's official. As much as it pains me to admit this, Twilight is mainstream. Ahhhh. I feel like such a sheep. BUT back on topic, when I first read the book, I felt like I was reading part of some forgein world that was so distant from my own, but looking back over the books, I now understand why I, personally, related to them so much.

Take the weather. I think I would be right in saying that it probably rained in Forks today, and guess what it rained here. I totally get the whole WTF do I wear to school now that the sky has decided to drop a bucket of water. Also, the music behind the novel is exactly what is in my top 25 most played. There is some kind of teenage quality about S Meyer that means that she totally relates to almost every single teenager out there 100%, weather they want to or not.

So, I congratulate Stephenie Meyer once again. Well done.

P.S.- I refuse to tell anyone that I fan girl on Twilight. I refuse to be mainstream in public :)

0 comments: