CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 22, 2009

That Is Not My Job

One thing that constantly seems to be a problem in the fandom is RUDE readers, RUDE people on forums, RUDE reviewers, and RUDE authors. I, for the life of me, can’t figure out why.

Nobody has to write for you or has to help you. Nobody on here is getting paid to write you a story and nobody is getting paid to beta your story. They are doing it during their free time. They do have their own lives and other responsibilities. I often hear betas complaining about how rude authors are to them. Betas are offering you their time and skills, so you should be nothing but thankful.

We are in no way obligated to communicate and be friends. We could all just write and read. There doesn’t have to be awards, contests, podcasts, websites, blogs like this, or even reviews. But what fun would that be? The whole fandom is better when we all just get along. Behind the screen is a real person with feelings, so watch what you say and save the drama for your mama.


Amethyst Jackson: Many fandom participants do forget that everyone works for free here, we have limited resources, and we all have other major endeavors in our lives - whether that be school, work, motherhood, or any number of things. For me personally, I find it frustrating when people complain about slow updates rather than asking nicely, or when readers critique overly harshly. Unfortunately, I don't get to write nearly as much as I would like, and I don't have an editor to check my facts. I would encourage people to be more supportive and less nitpicky.


VampGirl: The Twilight fandom has exploded, and we need to remember that these people do this all for free and have busy lives as well. I know it's frustrating. Believe me, I know it can be excruciating waiting and waiting to get a chapter back. But they're only human.


ObsessingOverEdward: My biggest gripe about the rudeness in the fandom is not from the readersbecause I try to give them the benefit of doubt when they review and say WTF? They don't usually know where the story is headed and when we throw zingers (or cliffies) at them then it's to be expected. It's what we work for as a writer, to instill some kind of emotion into the reader. It also doesn't help when they then have to wait for the next update, LOL.

I've only had a few flamers, but thanks to my awesome beta Mskathy, I tend to ignore them. Kathy has talked me off the ledge many times. I usually write a scathing remark back, to get it all out of my system, and then delete it before sending. For a new reader/reviewer I highly recommend reading WTVOCarticle on "The Lazy Yet Discerning Ficster" blog about reviewing etiquette, if you have any questions on what's appropriate. http://discerningficster.blogspot.com/search/label/Fandom%20Etiquette

My biggest issues are with authors that feel the need to make snarky remarks about other authors or their stories on public threads or podcasts. Words hurt, even though we try to buck up and ignore them, it still bugs you when you put a ton of time and pour out your emotions into your story only to have it slammed by someone that should understand the energy you put in. The backstabbing and snottiness in the fandom from other authors can get to be tiring. Most are amazing and wonderful ladies but there are a few that like to cause drama wherever they go.

My thoughts are, that not all stories will appeal to all readers so if you don't like a story then move on, but there is no reason for catty remarks because an author doesn't write a story like you would have liked to see it written.

0 comments: