CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, April 27, 2009

Nollie Marie

Nollie Marie wrote the AH story Hitched, which is one of the most read stories on FF. She really is an amazing writer and I cannot recommend more going to check her out- http://www.fanfiction.net/u/948787/

1. Let’s start with the fun, easy questions! What did you think of BreakingDawn? The movie?

Okay, there is no short way to write out this answer.

For Breaking Dawn, the first time I read it, I was reading it like super fast in between my 15 minute breaks at work, trying not to eat over the book at lunch, and it also felt like I was reading FanFiction…not that’s a bad thing considering I write FanFiction, but it just felt weird. But the second time, I actually was able to read it slowly and take it all the details in and I actually liked it. People don’t like Bella becoming pregnant, or Jacob’s point of view (POV), or the birthing scene, or Jacob imprinting on Renesmee, but to me it made scene. I loved Jacob’s POV because it gives the werewolves’ side which you wouldn’t have gotten through Bella’s eyes. As biology student, I love stuff that people thing is gross—I can totally eat while watching a human dissection or a murder scene on TV and not get gross out by it. So I loved Bella becoming a mother, which she always seemed to be one, at least to me, because she took care of her mum all the time, and I love little Renesmee. And Jacob’s imprinting on her, though it seems a bit pedophilic, Jacob is like her big brother, her best friend in the book, he loved her but not in the sense of doing a horizontal tango. But, at least, though I liked the book, Twilight shall always be my favorite amongst them all (until we see Edward’s verison of the story :D!)

As for the movie, I had to see it twice. The first time I went, I went on a Saturday because (1) that was the only time we could go with my friends (who never read Twilight, just knew it was about a girl who falls in love with a vampire) and (2) less people in the theater, I wasn’t feeling so well and the giggling girls behind us so my first time experience of the movie wasn’t that great. But the second time I went was over Thanksgiving break with my mum, bro, and a friend (who heard of Twilight only through me…she’s from Korea), I enjoyed and actually liked it. It wasn’t the book, but I wasn’t expecting it to be the book! It wasn’t Oscar worthy, some things were cheesy, and I wasn’t sure about the make-up bit, but the movie was good in its own way. But I prefer the book over the movie any day of course.

(If you read all that, give yourself a hug!)

2. Are you team Edward or team Jacob? Why?

Go Team Swiss! Ha, that sounds like I am at the Olympic games or something. I actually love both Edward and Jacob. I would pick Edward over Jacob as a love interest though because he is just like a perfect gentleman and cares so much for Bella. But I can’t hate Jacob because he reminds me so much of my brother…some how…lol I bet my brother loves to hear he’s Jacob XD.

3. When writing a story do you make an outline first or just let the storywrite itself?

Well it’s a mixture of both. At first, when I started writing, I would just let the story write itself but one of my good friends (Rockfan on Fictionpress) total me that she outlined her stories because it was easier to keep on track of the plot and when to update. So I generally have an outline for my stories but I leave a bit of room for something else to pop up. Which in all reality is my personality, I like plans but they aren’t set in stone because things might change and I hate feeling disappointed.

4. What do you think makes a story successful?

I think that a story is successful but what it does to the reader. A reader reads not only because it’s entertainment but some read to make their own reality slip away. By reading, the readers can forget their own worries, stress and negativity in their lives, and just, for a few minutes anyway, be able to live out another life. To be able to feel the struggles, hurt, comfort and love that the characters have…sometimes is helpful because a lot of times people can relate to the stories.

5. Out of your stories posted online which was the most fun to write?

Oh lord, a hard question XD! Seriously, each of my stories were fun to write for different reasons. And all reality, if you don’t have fun when you’re writing then you need to ask yourself why you’re even writing in the first place (that wasn’t meant to be negative, it’s just a rhetorical question). If you don’t love something, it’s a chore and chores are no fun.

But if I had to pick any story these three stories are the top of my memorial stories: This is My Destiny was my first story and it was pure fluff which is always fun to write. The Hitched series was my first ever series and will always be my baby. And Lessons of the Heart is my first angus story and one I treat with utmost respect.

6. Do you prefer writing one-shots or multi-chapter stories? Why?

I like to write each for different reasons. One-shots are fun to write because you don’t have to write a lot for them, no worries about updating, plus you can write lot of them. But multi-chapter stories are more personal because you have to put more thought and care into it, have complex characters and their histories.

7. What do you think about all of the love and support you have received on fanfiction?

Most of the time, I’m like “No, no! I’m not that great! Look at the errors I’ve made!” But, not saying that don’t notice my errors, but a few don’t care because they know I’m imperfect. It’s overwhelming and humbling to see people that like and support me. I knew that my mommy would love and support me but to see others care for me. And many care about me, not just like and support me, but about how I’m doing, feeling, my well being. Sure they want an update but they rather I don’t like hurt or kill myself doing so. (And for those you have support me, I say, thank you! I would give you all cookies...if I had cookies…but I have lots of hugs!)

8. Do you get writers block often? If so how do you deal with it?

What writer doesn’t? X) Yeah, I do get writer’s block but more often than not I get writer’s procrastination. When I get writer’s block, I have a picture or an idea of where I want the story to take but I can’t connect point A (what I last posted) with point B (what I want to post). When I do get writer’s block, I often write what point A is and different ways to get to point B to see what is the best way to write that scene.

However, writer’s procrastination is totally different. That’s when I know what I want to do, how to do…just don’t have the interest (and/or time) to do. I generally have to kick myself to write and when I do, I often step away from the chapter days at a time before coming back to look at what I’ve written. Sometimes just by stepping away and not forcing it, things will get back to the flow of it.

9. Do you have any tips for other authors on fanfiction?

1.) Write for yourself! Outside of what I said about writing be fun, if you don’t write for yourself than you’re not being true to what you are or can be.

2.) Write about what you know (and love), or do the research! It’s so much easier to write about something you know than take the time to do the research on it, and trust me if you’re writing about something you don’t know and someone who does know what you’re writing spots a mistake…it’s almost insulting what you’re writing about. (i.e. reason why I’m researching cancer symptoms, treatments, etc. etc. for Lessons of the Heart)

3.) Step into your character’s shoes! Again, it’s easier to write when you put yourself into the character’s shoes because you know what they are thinking, what they are feeling, and how they are going to act.

4.) Write using all your senses! When you step into you’re character’s shoes, what are they looking at? What are they smelling? Is it cold? Warm? Blistering hot? Don’t be afraid to add details to the story but not so much that the story is nothing but them. You just want to give a picture of what is going on and by saying they are in a room doesn’t say much. It’s like that writing exercise:how-not-tell.

5.) And know when to stop! Don’t drag something out longer than it needs to be. Dragging out things will only kill what you’ve worked so hard on.

10. What is the best story you have read on fanfiction?

I actually don’t have a lot of time to read FanFiction as I use to but I do have favorites, but mostly whatever I do like they are mainly by a few authors: vjgm (do I have to explain why she’s good?), Daddy’s Little Cannibal (she doesn’t think she’s a good author, but she is. She has that perfect combo of humor, drama that keeps you craving for more), and r0b0ticvampir (Oh my God, I start to cry when she took all her stuff down. She was seriously a good story teller). And I’ve been a bad friend and haven’t read anything from Bronzehairedgirl620, but I know she’s a good author (and a good friend too) because I've gone a co-author story with her and she has some wicked ideas.

0 comments: